Monday, January 28, 2013

POW (Page One Wow): SPLINTERED

 
Things to ask yourself when looking for POW: Does the book draw me in from the first page? Does it have that certain something that makes it unputdownable? Does it make me pay attention?

I'm going to post a few lines from the first page of a book (current or past read), and say whether or not I think it has Page One Wow. As always, feel free to chime in!
 
"I've been collecting bugs since I was ten; it's the only way I can stop their whispers.  Sticking a pin through the gut of an insect shuts it up pretty quick.
 
Some of my victims line the walls in shadow boxes, while others get sorted into mason jars and placed on a bookshelf for later use.  Crickets, beetles, spiders...bees and butterflies.  I'm not picky.  Once they get chatty, they're fair game."--page 1, Splintered
 
So, does it have POW?  It did for me.  Alyssa's voice was immediately there, and even though I hate bugs, the idea of them whispering/"getting chatty" drew me in.  Great start imo, sets this creepy, edgy tone for the Alice in Wonderland retelling perfectly.  Review to come soon!
 
Any thoughts?  As always, I'd love to hear them :-).
 
Hope you have a great week everyone,
 
Ninja Girl

2 comments:

  1. Bugs?? ... Well, that's quite, err, unique!
    I saw this cover here and there on different blogs and I always thought of Alice in Wonderland (and not because of what it's written on top of it). Now it makes more sense, LOL

    Have a great week you too, Ninja Girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This reminds me of this kid in high school. We used to have to collect bugs for biology. There was this kid everyone knew as the bug kid and he and his family would sell everyone their bug collections so we could pass the class. It was nuts. I will read this book!

    ReplyDelete