Tuesday, November 27, 2012

DEITY by Jennifer L. Armentrout


I finished Deity on Sunday, and I'm still a little devastated. 0_0

Loved the book/story as usual.  Seriously, LOVED IT!  But the events that took place, the total change of character (one character in particular), and just the overall outcome…  My ninja mind just can't take it in.

*If I knew how to put in a gif, this would be where the person is crying, bashing their head against the wall, crying out "WHYYYYYYYYY" at the top of their lungs*

Anyone reading Deity--the third book in the Covenant series--most likely knows anything I'd reveal as a spoiler from previous books.  Plus, I don't know how to talk about the things I want to talk about without including at least some spoilers.  With that in mind, here are my thoughts.

First off, let's list the things I loved: Alex and Aiden's relationship, Alex's Uncle Marcus (I knew I liked you, sir!), the fast pace of the book, the writing, the Underworld scene, LEON!!!

And now, what made me so, so sad.

Team Seth took a major hit.  We're all still lying on the floor in our own tears, trying to recover from the Seth-bomb that exploded in our faces.  JLA completely flipped the script on us.  If you go into this expecting the same Seth from Pure, you're going to be disappointed (or, if you're like me, totally devastated).

I can't say I didn't see it coming.  Whenever there's a love triangle, especially in YA, the story usually takes one of two routes: 1) Make us hate one of the guys, or 2) Make one guy dull as dirt, so that no one in their right mind would choose him over the other guy.  As we know, Seth would never fit into category 2.  So, we're left with the hate option.  Why not just make the two guys different, each an equally viable love interest, and then have the girl choose?

Seth did some awful things in this book, but the one that really got me was how he mistreated Alex.  He was literally abusive to her (locking her in her room, not letting her leave, draining her life energy ON PURPOSE).  I couldn't believe it--until I remembered the Hate Rule.

In Pure, Seth was cocky and conceited (and already under the influence of Lucian and his evil ways).  But he was NOT a soiciopathic megalomaniac bent on getting power at the cost of the one girl he truly cared about.  Alex was his friend, if not the girl he was in love with.  I never got a clear answer on why he made that leap to the Dark Side.

Though I got plenty of reasons/answers for Aiden's actions.

*Sigh*  That's another thing that bugs me about love triangles.  Even when the narrator discovers that one guy did basically the same things as the other guy, the girl always sees one as the knight in shining armor and the other as doggy poo.

Or in Seth's case, a calculated, psychotic evil dude.

I'll just say this (***MAJOR SPOILER WARNING HERE***): If Aiden had had more time, he would've hunted Minister Telly down just like he did that daimon guy Eric--which, of course, we don't see on the page.  No doubt in my mind.  And Alex would've probably kissed him for it.

In short, LOVED the book.  HATED what was done to Seth's character.  Can't wait to read Apollyon in hopes that Seth will redeem himself.  Though at this point, he'll probably have to die in some incredibly brave way to do it L.

Happy Reading,

Ninja Girl

3 comments:

  1. Yes! To EVERYTHING. I want that gif, too. I just, GUH. This book KILLED me dead. I literally screamed "NO!" at the ending. I mean, I knew it was going to happen, BUT STILL. I didn't WANT it to happen. I finished it weeks ago and I'm STILL thinking about it.

    Poor Team Seth. :( I'm firmly Team Aiden but even - I - cringed at what Seth was doing, and how his fans must have felt.

    Amazing review, chica!

    Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ninja :-)

    Thank you for following me back!

    Also, I'd like to invite to join this meme - if you like it.

    http://onlectus.blogspot.com/2012/12/the-good-bad-and-ugly-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know it's terrible when I think I still haven't tried this series, I really need to, everyone seems to love it!

    ReplyDelete