Monday, February 18, 2013

POW (Page One Wow): THE GIRL IN THE STEEL CORSET

 
Things to ask yourself when looking for POW: Does the book draw me in from the first page? Does it have that certain something that makes it unputdownable? Does it make me pay attention?

I'm going to post a few lines from the first page of a book (current or past read), and say whether or not I think it has Page One Wow. As always, feel free to chime in!

 
"The moment she saw the young man walking down the darkened hall toward her, twirling his walking stick, Finley Jayne knew she'd be unemployed before the sun rose.  Her third dismissal in as many months.
 
She tensed and slowed her steps, but she did not stop.  She kept her head down, but was smart enough not to take her gaze off him.  Perhaps he would walk right by her, as if she were as invisible as servants were supposed to be.
 
Felix August-Raynes was the son of her employer.  At one and twenty years of age, he was tall and lean with curly blond hair and bright blue eyes.  Ever woman who saw him called him an angel.  Most who knew him thought him the very devil."--page 1, The Girl in the Steel Corset
 
So, does it have POW?  For me, it's a yes.  I feel the tension, the menace wafting off of Raynes, and the danger to Finley.  I really loved this first scene. Hint: Finley can take care of herself, and the awful Felix finds this out the hard way :-).  What do you think?
 
Have a great one,
 
Ninja Girl


1 comment:

  1. This is definitely a fantastic page one Wow! I really do love this first scene. It creates such an amazing sense of forboding. I'm always excited about reading the first page of a book.

    ReplyDelete